The National Seismological Data Centre has been formed to develop the national seismic observation system. The works are sponsored by the State Budget.
The works are ordered by the National Cosmic Agency of the Ukraine.
The main performer is the Institute of Geophysics of the National Academy of Sciences of the Ukraine. The purpose of the National Seismological Data Centre is acquisition, accumulation and systematization of seismic data recorded in the Ukraine, working out effective methods of predicting seismic activity of the region.
The National Seismological Data Centre monitors continuously the seismological situation in the Ukraine and informs timely the Permanent Commission on the Technogenic-Ecological Security and Emergencies of the facts of recording strong earthquakes in the Ukraine.
The main trends of the work of the National Seismological Data Centre are:
1. Working out the seismological monitoring method.
2. On-line analysis of seismological information.
3. Publication of the results of seismological monitoring.
4. Working out special technical means for the equipment and re-equipment of the seismic observation system.
5. Participation in the realization of international agreements in the field of the seismological monitoring of the planet and the seismological observation data exchange.
In the Ukraine now two regional seismological centers are functioning that are situated in the Simferopol (Crimean seismoactive region) and Lviv (Carpathian seismoactive region) as well as stations Kiev-IRIS and Kiev-IGF as immediate parts of the National Seismological Data Center Network.